The US Department of Transportation (DOT) allows the transportation of emotional support dogs to foreign companies flying to/from the USA (14 CFR Part 382).
Watch the link below for the explanatory video
- Just dogs;
- Proven minimum age of 4 (four) months;
- Presentation at check-in in one hour ahead of other passengers (4 hours before the flight);
- Vaccination card, including rabies vaccine with the name of the producing laboratory, the type of vaccine and the number of the ampoule. Must have been applied for more than 30 days and less than 1 year. These deadlines should be respected with each dose of the rabies vaccine;
- International Veterinary Certificate (Certificado Veterinário Internacional, CVI), valid for 60 days from the date of issue. Vigiagro’s Animal Passport is not accepted in the USA;
- Completion of Emotional Support Animal Declaration;
- MEDIF filling;
Documentation must be submitted up to 48 hours before the flight for analysis by the AZUL aeronautical medicine team. Original documentation must also be presented upon check-in.
The MEDIF Form is provided by Azul for customers to ensure completion and signature of the passenger's personal physician prior to booking the ticket. Shipping to BLUE must be done within 72 business hours prior to flight by email or fax. The medical document and MEDIF will be evaluated by Azul's medical service, specialized in aviation medicine, with a response time of 48 (forty-eight) hours. Please note that emotional support dog air travel is subject to prior authorization from Azul's medical department based on the information on the form. In the event that Azul's requirements are not met, passenger transportation may be refused.
The MEDIF form needs to be signed by the passenger’s personal physician (this form will not be accepted if it has been signed by psychologists, physiotherapists or other healthcare professionals other than physicians with a valid CRM [Conselho Regional de Medicina (Regional Board of Medicine)] number).
All copies must be fully completed to ensure the best possible analysis.
To download the MEDIF form, click here.
Read and answer all the questions correctly, in legible handwriting. Mark (X) the options "Yes" or "No". All copies of the form must be signed.
MEDIF – Part 1 - Information for health professionals.
MEDIF – Part 2 - To be filled in by the passenger or legal guardian.
MEDIF – Part 3 - To be filled in by the passenger's attending physician.
MEDIF – Part 4 - To be filled in by the passenger's attending physician.
MEDIF – Part 5 - To be filled in by the passenger's attending physician.
Cabin mobility restriction
- For the safety of other passengers, DOT allows for the restriction of emotional support dog walking in the cabin.
- For small dogs, the transport should be in container. Two types of packaging are accepted: the rigid container or the flexible bag. The dimensions must be at most 43 cm long X 31.5 cm wide X 20 cm high.
- For medium and large dogs, the dog should be accommodated on the floor and on the passenger’s foot, with a guide collar required.
Azul suggests that the passenger identify their dog with an Emotional Support Animal collar or vest.
AZUL may deny transportation of the dog in case:
- It is not proven that the animal is an emotional support dog.
- Be observed bad behavior or aggressiveness of the dog.
- Dog weight or dimensions are incompatible with on board safety procedures.
- It is evaluated by Medif, by aeronautical medicine, that the passenger is not in a health condition to be responsible for the care of the dog in flight.
Correctly complete parts 2, 3, 4 and 5 of the MEDIF form and follow the submission instructions below, bearing in mind that the form is valid for 30 days for domestic and international flights after the medical authorization by AZUL.
If your MEDIF arrives illegible or incomplete, we will contact you for appropriate information and assistance.
Any questions, contact us at our Call Center 11 4003-1118.
The attachment format must be saved in JPG or PDF.
In this occurrence, you can attach up to 10 files.